Monday, April 6, 2009

I don't want to be 'the perfect mom'!...I want a shower!

There has been so much in recent media-dom regarding 'how to be a perfect mom'....'ways to find time for yourself'...'guides to destress your busy life'...
I don't want to be the 'perfect' mom! I'd just like an uninterrupted, longer than 3 minute, shower.I laugh at the ads for the foaming bath washes...obviously, their kids are not at home.
Until there truly is a 30 hour day...my 'time to myself' involves folding laundry after everyone else has gone to bed...and watching Craig Ferguson.I may be actually 'losing it' because Windexing down my countertops gives me joy.
In many ways, living in a constant state of 'mom stress' keeps me going...much like being in a combat zone...the adrenaline rush is much the same when you hear a 'clunk' on the floor (that sounded like a cantaloupe hitting pavement)---the quiet hush for the inhale...(wait for it...)and the piercing screams...the bloody lip, or bumped head pushes you in to 'triage' mode...
'I NEED A PAPER TOWEL, SOME ICE... AND PINK BUNNY---STAT!!!'
Thing is, I don't have those disposable gowns to catch the blood...or red sauce...or whatever. That is why I enjoy the all black wardrobe...or at least a funky patterned shirt...hides stains better...'mommy-flage'.
No. I cannot do it all...and quite honestly, I don't care!
What I DO care about is that my kids sleep well, eat SOMETHING that is not white, yellow, or sugary...wear clean clothes, and bathe. I care that they become nice people, and compassionate grown ups...and love animals...maybe learn to garden by watching me...
Gotta go...the dog is eating a red marker on the burber rug...
'I NEED A WET PAPER TOWEL, SOME 'SHOUT'...AND THE BITTER APPLE SPRAY---STAT!!!'
(fade to black)

1 comment:

So...what do you think?