Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's My Garden...


I have been through 2 husbands already....call it bad luck...or fate.
Whatever...
The one thing I have always felt the most sad about, when these marriages ended, were my gardens....and having to leave them.
When I was with 'X1' I built an awesome garden in our yard...it is what kept me sane.
When all else crumbled around me...my garden fed me and kept me alive.
I taught my small children (at the time) how to identify weeds....transplant good flowers...and learn the value of making things grow under your care.
I had to leave that garden.
I had spent 7 years building a perennial heaven. Built a pergola with wisteria vines...sweet blossoms making the air fragrant on warm spring nights. I used to sit under those vines with my now 15 yr. old in my lap...and we would look at the twinkle lights I had infused in the greenery....and make up stories about lovely fairies and happy things.
I remember trying to transplant vintage peonies and other amazing plants to my newest garden out of state...
Some of them lived...but some did not make the trip.
When I moved where I am now---some 8 years ago, I had great hopes...and thought this would be my 'last' garden to build.
I worked my fanny off turning over soil...conditioning the native clay in to something that would love and accept what I had to plant and grow....
Turns out...this is NOT my last garden...and now I have an 'X2'...
Life has a strange way of twisting and turning.
I always thought that at this stage of my life I would have a well established garden---and life.
I am now looking at putting my house on the market...just as my hydrangeas have established themselves. Just as the irises I took from the woods, have finally come in to their own....just as I thought everything was going to be OK.
I am sad to leave my garden. I am sad that yet another 'marriage' has failed.
However...I do know this.
I will grow where I am planted next...and so will my garden...eventually.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photo -- and a beautiful reason to plant another garden.

    ReplyDelete

So...what do you think?