Friday, January 1, 2010

'That's Not My...Name.'


(Love that song by the Ting-Tings.)
I do love my 'given' name.
Powerful.
Historic.
Mine.
'Katherine'---means 'pure' in Greek.(My family is Greek.)
Also,my mom was reading the book 'Katherine' when I was born. I was almost 'Shannon'...and 'Zerelda'...'Cartina' was in the mix as well.
My middle name is the name of a great grandfather...and a famous TV show.
My last name? Well, let's just say, when 'Braveheart' came out...I was very very proud of the family clan. ('I AM WILLIAM WALLACE!')By God, we even have our own plaid!
And also, I am the last of the Wallace clan in my family.(So,there.)
I did pass the name on in my daughter....so all is not lost.
I have been married twice, and (unwillingly)assumed my spouses names.
The first was impossible to spell, and was confused with 'Breakwell'...'Breaknell'...'Brickle'...'Bricknell'...'Brickell' (as in 'Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians'.)etc. Not only did I have to spell my FIRST name (all the time)...but my last as well.
I 'wisely' chose my second husband because his name started with a 'B'...and I would not have to change my monogram stationary.
However, his name has caused much consternation, as I have had to spell it continuously.
My first name: Katherine.
How many different ways can one spell a single name?
'Katherine'...with a 'K'...and, no, it does not pass my gaze every time I see Listerine...Katherine...nice.
My grandmother had a charm made for her bracelet that said 'Kate' when I was first born.
'Kate' does not bother me...as in : 'Kiss me, Kate.'
BUT...I hate it when people call me 'Kathy'...that's not my name. It's Katherine...and people are a bit 'stand-off-ish' when I correct them.
I am Katherine Wallace. I always WILL be Katherine Wallace.
Six years of Design School...a lifetime of achievements...3 kids...I AM Katherine Wallace! (And, my social security card says so as well!---I have never changed it.)
Next time around...I will hyphenate.
(Just sayin.)

1 comment:

  1. Next time, don't even bother with the hyphenating -- if he's worth it, you can still be Katherine Wallace and he will still love you. And you're right, it's a great name!

    ReplyDelete

So...what do you think?