Friday, October 16, 2009

Yeah. I love professional HOCKEY!


Before I moved to Hurricanes Country, I was never a fan of hockey.
My idea of hockey was the 'I Love Lucy' version, where Ricky and Fred go to a game, smoke cigars, yell at the refs, and get in fights with fellow fans. Hockey was barbaric. Hockey was 'gross'.
All that changed when the 'Canes made it to the playoffs in 2001...(I think that was the year.)
I actually had the time to watch the games as I was sequestered in a hotel every Tuesday night during my divorce--so my X could come stay in my house one night a week with my kids...(totally nuts, invasion of my privacy...a whole other story--but I digress.)
I was drawn to the quick pace of the games, and the physicality.(I wanted to body check some people too!) Hockey is like lacrosse, football, and track all rolled in to one. I am still amazed that the players can manipulate a hockey stick, chase a tiny puck, and evade death...all on ice skates! With ginormous pads, helmets and gloves...and some do not even have face masks on their helmets!
(Have you ever felt a hockey puck? Can you imagine one hitting your face at 100mph?)
These guys are tough---and may I add, very cute out of uniform.
OK, yes, the reason I love hockey is not only the sport itself, but also the cute boys. (There. I said it.)
I have a total crush on team captain Rod Brind'amore...'my Roddy'.
Reading his physical stats is enough to make a girl weak in the knees. He has a banged up 'hockey face'---scars, broken nose...beautiful! And, from the interviews I have seen, a really good person. I really want him to teach me how to skate backwards---it's on my 'bucket list.' (my kids totally make fun of me...but being the 'mature' adult, I just let that roll off my back.)
The energy of a hockey game is contagious. If you are lucky enough to sit near the glass, you will be amazed. My son and I sat close to the ice last year. It was awesome! We could hear the skates cutting the ice, the audible grunts during body checks and some of the 'colorful' conversation on the ice.
It's a party---it's LOUD! The energy is infectious! We always leave a game 'pumped up'.
(Plus, for you boys out there, the Canes Dancers are pretty cute as well.)
So, before you judge me because I love hockey---go see a game! You will be hooked too! LET'S GO HURRICANES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...what do you think?