Monday, July 6, 2009

How To 'Shop' Rodeo Drive


You may think I am crazy---but this is how my friend and I 'shopped' Rodeo Drive, had a blast---and we did not, in the least, feel intimidated.
About 12 years ago I was out in Hollywood visiting my actress girlfriend who is 'in the business'. Her temporary digs were right behind the Mann's Chinese Theatre. Her husband is a 'camera guy' in major motion pictures, and TV as well...(he also stands on his head to get rid of a cold---but that is another story.)
Nina and I had a blast doing all the touristy things around 'the Wood'...some people even recognized her on the street.
Remember 'Dawson's Creek'? She played Katie Holmes' big sister in that show!...(I met Katie---she was really beautiful and sweet...and blew me away when she asked Nina for a cigarette...again, another story.)
After spending a few days hiking past Madonna's house, going up to the Observatory, checking out hand prints outside of Mann's, riding bikes at the beach,walking Hollywood Blvd looking for hookers, we decided to go in to Beverly Hills.
Wow. I mean really...wow.
As a designer I was salivating over the store windows....and over the amazingly plastified women walking down the street. Nina and I played the 'guess what kinda work she's had done' game...aka: 'Fake or Real'.
Now, here is how we survived the 'intimadators' aka: sales people---
Being that both Nina and I are good actors, we assumed the roles of bored wealthy housewives....and dove in. Gucci, Prada, Harry Winston, Hermes,Givenchy, Chanel,etc.etc.etc!
I watched the sales people cringe and look around when we walked through the doors...(I was wondering if they were secretly calling security.)
We were not dressed like bums or anything, but we were not 'to the 9's' as the 'ladies' we passed on the street.
As we perused the racks, or cases, we maintained a dialogue about such things as my 'husband's' estate in Monaco', and how 'he hated the new Jaguar he bought and tried to give it to me, but I did not want it because it was silver and did not impress me', and how 'our new Belgian nanny was NOT working out', and how 'I thought she was having an affair with my stable boy'...and how Nina 'really needed to come by some weekend because the guest house is always open for her'---and we 'had just renovated the pool'....
We were subtle about it...mainly just quiet conversation amongst friends...but it was hilarious to watch the sales people...they became more interested in 'helping' us as we went on....
I remember picking up an amazingly gorgeous Hermes bag---a '5 mortgage payments' one...and saying to Nina,'I like this...but I already have one similar that I got in Cannes.'
I don't know if the sales people really believed us...but it was fun to play act...and neither the looney bin van, nor a police car, ever pulled up the street to take us away.
I mean, really. Everything out there is fake, made up, or an illusion in some sort of way....right?
We had a great time...'shopping Rodeo'...and laughing our heads off!

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious -- too bad you didn't have a hidden camera following you ;)

    ReplyDelete

So...what do you think?